Want to get a smart and beautiful conversation partner? It may well be the Amazon, but keep in mind that a weighty character and excessive morning talkativeness are attached to its high intelligence.
Description of Amazon Parrot
This is a medium-sized bird of a dense physique with a short rounded tail, growing up to 25-45 cm. Wings do not reach the tip of the tail. Amazon has a powerful rounded beak that can crush large nuts.
It is believed that the mental ability of the Amazon is a little more modest than that of his African counterpart Jaco, but the Amazons are recognized as the best onomatopoeia among American parrots. They brilliantly reproduce natural sounds (including the cries of animals), imitate human speech and the sound of musical instruments, and also whistle their favorite tunes.
Amazon parrots are well tamed, and getting used to the owner, give in to training, remembering simple circus tricks. These birds love to be in the center of public attention, and therefore do not hesitate to talk with a large crowd of people. They are attached to the owner and are well adapted for life in captivity. The calmest domestic recluses include white-headed, Brazilian, yellow-winged, red-faced, Surinamese, blue-faced and Venezuelan Amazons.
Amazons are not particularly impressive, but they are striking in their variability of color while maintaining a holistic green background of plumage, characteristic of almost all species.
A distinctive sign of each species are noticeable colored spots that adorn the neck, head (including the back of the head), wings and tail. These labels scattered throughout the body can be bright red, yellow, lilac, blue, blue and more.
It is interesting! The iris of young parrots is painted in a gray-brown color, which changes to chestnut-brown, red-orange or red by 2-3 years. During this period, it is especially difficult to name the age of the parrot, focusing on the iris.
It is difficult to establish the sex of an adult bird, proceeding only from its exterior. It is much easier to do this when the parrots are in the group, demonstrating mating behavior.
Types of Amazons
According to various classifications, from 26 to 32 species belong to the genus of Amazonian parrots, and two of them have already disappeared from the face of the earth.
Here are just part of the species diversity of Amazon parrots:
- white-faced and blue-faced amazons;
- yellow-shouldered and yellow-necked amazons;
- Venezuelan and Red-tailed Amazons;
- red-throated and red-faced Amazon;
- Jamaican black-billed and yellow-billed amazons;
- blue-faced and blue-crowned Amazon;
- festive and luxurious amazons;
- Cuban and Soldier Amazons;
- royal and imperial amazons;
- Surinamese and yellow-headed amazons;
- Müller's Amazon.
Nowadays, several species of Amazonian parrots (due to the threat of extinction) are in the International Red Book.
Range, Wildlife Habitat
Amazon parrots inhabit tropical rainforests, abundantly growing in South / Central America, and also inhabit islands located in the Caribbean.
Amazon parrot content at home
Not all ornithologists welcome the keeping of parrots in captivity. The arguments are simple - not every owner will be able to properly feed and walk the bird, maintain its health.
Parrot cage device
An aviary is preferable to a cage, especially if you have no time to monitor the free movement of birds in the apartment. The cage should not like you, but your parrot. It is placed away from heating appliances and drafts.
What is included in the concept of a "correct" cell:
- spread wings do not touch the cell walls (minimum dimensions 65 * 45 * 80 cm). The larger the bird, the more spacious the dwelling;
- the rods of the cage must be very strong so that the bird does not destroy them with its beak. Permissible cross-section of the rod 2-3mm;
- the cell must not be unlocked from the inside, otherwise the Amazon will come out of it. It is better to use a miniature padlock;
- the cage should be equipped with a pallet that partially protects the room from debris and fluff;
- impenetrable (for beak) feeders, metal or plastic;
- a cage equipped with wheels will simplify the transport of birds.
Do not forget about drinking bowls, toys and exercise machines, such as a swing, ladders and rings.
As a true tropical resident, Amazon loves heat (+ 22 + 27 degrees) and extreme humidity (above 60-80%). Dryer air causes skin diseases (itching and dandruff) and increased fragility of feathers.
It is completely optional to maintain such humidity parameters throughout the apartment: just get aquarium fish or buy an air humidifier. Amazonian parrots are delighted with water procedures, so equip your birdie with a bath and periodically pamper it with a spray shower.
For full care of Amazon, UV radiation is also required: a lamp (20 watts) is mounted above the cell. A year later, a lamp that worked 12 hours a day was replaced with a new one. In summer and warm autumn, in clear weather, the pet should be taken out onto the balcony so that it takes sunbathing.
Diet - how to feed a parrot amazon
Outside, the menu of parrots consists predominantly of buds, flowers and fruits, and only last but not least of grains. In the home diet, 60-70% falls on berries, fruits, herbs, vegetables, and 30-40% on ready-made grain mixtures.
Important!It is better to buy a mixture for medium-sized parrots, combining with a mixture for large parrots in a proportion of 3/1. It is important that small grains (millet, oats, canary seed) are eaten, which the feathered one often ignores. To do this, you can give grains in a spikelet: parrots like to peel them.
Sunflower seeds and nuts give dosed (fat is harmful to the liver). Given that in natural conditions, these parrots do not eat dry grains, they are pre-soaked. Amazon recommended foods:
- sprouted grain;
- cereals on the water (with the addition of honey, but without salt and oil);
- soaked dried fruits and legumes (boiled);
- fruits / vegetables high in carotene;
- baby food (vegetable / fruit purees and juices);
- fresh berries (viburnum, sea buckthorn, mountain ash, wild rose, cranberries);
- buds and flowers of dandelion, rosehip, chamomile, Ivan-tea;
- flowers / inflorescences of apple, cherry, pear and lilac.
Protein is given little: its excess leads to obesity, self-pinching and other problems. Once a week, Amazon receives a boiled egg (chicken / quail) and a little low-fat cottage cheese.
Important! The parrot should eat branches (apple trees, raspberries, cherries), especially in the cold. In spring, branches with mature buds are harvested for future use and stored in the freezer. In winter, the branches are placed in water, waiting for the buds to bloom and offered to the feathered.
List of prohibited products:
- avocado (poisonous to birds);
- papaya and mango (possible only as part of baby puree);
- onion and garlic;
- food from the table.
Every year, especially during the molting period, Amazonians are fed with vitamins for birds.
This indicator is directly proportional to the quality of the content of the feathered. Ornithologists believe that the Amazon parrot has an average human life span of about 70 years. Official data indicate a shorter lifespan of different species. Thus, it is known that one Surinamese Amazon lived in captivity for 56 years, yellow-necked Amazon - 49 years old, blue-faced - also 49 years old, and Venezuelan Amazon - 30 years.
Parrot Disease Prevention
Not everyone knows what a healthy Amazon should look like, but there are several key features:
- beak - shiny and smooth, without peeling / layering;
- plumage - dense and bright, without blackened feathers;
- eyes are clean, not squinted;
- paws - full and powerful, with evenly thickened fingers;
- the skin on the legs is shiny and smooth, with no wrinkles or peeling.
- behavior - calm, without apathy and nervous breakdowns.
Amazons are prone to ailments typical of many parrots.
These diseases are bacterial, viral or fungal in nature:
- glandular enlargement syndrome;
- salmonellosis and chlamydia;
- pseudotuberculosis and tuberculosis;
- papillomatosis and poliomavirus;
- paramyxovirus and circovirus;
- herpes virus infection of parrots;
- candidiasis and cryptococcosis;
- aspergillosis and malassesia;
- megabacteriosis of parrots.
Watch out if your bird has become lethargic, has frizzled and ruffled, eats poorly, has lost weight, wheezes or sneezes, has fallen from the perch, is limping, trembling and drowsy.
Important!Any of these symptoms will be a signal for urgent treatment to the clinic.
Self-pinching, overgrowing of the beak, redness of the nose / cloaca, diarrhea, nausea, discoloration / consistency of the litter, as well as clouded, reddened, sore eyes and lacrimation, will be alarming symptoms.
Is it possible to teach Amazon to speak
The Amazon parrot is easy to learn and able to hold more than 100 words and sentences. Lessons begin only after the pet gets used to the new housing and owner. Pronounce the words clearly until the student understands what is required of him.
For proper pronunciation, encourage dainty and praise. When the Amazon tastes good, it will begin to memorize and reproduce everything it hears, so exclude all strong words from your vocabulary.
Buy Amazon parrot - tips and tricks
Unfortunately, the chance to buy a healthy bird is low on the ad: sellers often sell smuggled parrots. Such a purchase is fraught with consequences in the form of expenses for the treatment of a feathered one (for example, from aspergillosis often encountered in birds).
The purchase of a sick bird can also affect your health if it is infected with ornithosis or tuberculosis.
Where to buy, what to look for
Look for a reputable breeder or nursery. Usually they put buyers in line for a chick. Ask the parrot to make an x-ray (in 2 projections) on the day of purchase, which your vet will see. A conscientious seller will not refuse you this request.
When planning to acquire a young Amazon, pay attention to details such as:
- the presence of a fixed ring on the foot (with the date of birth of the bird and the name of the country where the nursery is located);
- habits of a manual bird, which are demonstrated by all chicks;
- signs of a chick, namely the color of the iris of the eye (it should only be dirty gray-brown). A brown or red shell distinguishes an adult bird (older than 2-3 years).
The absence of one or all requirements is an indicator of dishonesty of a merchant who is trying to sell you a wild, old or ailing Amazon. If you are sure that you are taking a healthy individual, do not forget to take the necessary veterinary documents from the breeder.
Amazon parrot price
Large talking parrots are not cheap, but the cost varies depending on the type of Amazon and the volume of its lexical base. So, Venezuelan Amazon can be bought for 21 thousand rubles, yellow-faced (Surinamese) - for 45 thousand rubles, Cuban Amazon - for 90 thousand rubles. The range of prices is wide enough. So, the talking blue-faced Amazon-upbringing (with a rich vocabulary), 6 months old, is offered by one of Moscow nurseries for the price of ... 250 thousand rubles.
It is interesting! Do you know that the demand for parrots leads to their extinction in nature? If you can’t cope with the maintenance of Amazon, it will join the ranks of the sufferers in the many population of bird shelters and hospitals throughout the country.
People living near the Amazon parrots warn that their pets are very noisy, especially in the morning. Awakening, they like to chat and sing songs. To avoid early morning wakeups, cover the cage with cloth at night.
Amazons are independent to rudeness and often “rest” no worse than donkeys until they get what they want. The character is more reminiscent of a woman: the mood of a parrot changes every minute. Amazon in one second can go from enthusiastic joy to heavy anguish, showing with all appearance the discontent that has gripped him.
Important! Biting, Amazon can cause injury to its owner. Bites are guaranteed for those households who do not like the bird. In the heat of jealousy, Amazon injures other pets and does not spare children.
The main thing to remember when starting a bird is to reach maturity, she will become extremely aggressive.